Monday, March 15, 2010

A day in the dirt

We have so much work to do in the yard it's ridiculous. Today we got more compost. I should have borrowed a truck from someone, but I didn't have much time and I just wanted it done. I promise not to complain about the stink. Sod is coming up on Wednesday (provided we have no rain). Lettuce should be in the ground now, but it's not. Pansies should be out, but there aren't either. I'm hoping to get a little done every day after work and possibly some done before work. Here goes.This is Annie climbing to the top of the compost pile. It was really windy.

Annie coming down with her pail full of compost from the top of the pile. She claims that's where the good stuff is.

Holding her nose in the car on the way home (it really is stinky).

We get home with our compost. Unload and get to work. I should have moved our strawberry crowns in the fall, but I didn't so I moved them today. They are pretty tough, so I think it will be ok. They've had a full year to root, so we should get good crop from them this summer.

While I'm working, Annie is busy building a worm house. She seems to think it's funny to name them all after my sisters family. She started with Poppy, then found a Sadie and a Ruby. She had a really hard time finding one big enough to be Sam until I pulled this out of the strawberry patch. Don't worry Greta, yours was the cutest worm.
She was really happy with Sam the worm, "look Momma he's hugging my hand."
Here's their house. She built it in her mini wheelbarrow, "in case it rains and they have to come inside. Worms can't swim mama." Worms are also not coming in my house.
And this is the new Strawberry patch. They get 1/4 of our raised garden bed. Hopefully they won't go to crazy and take over the whole thing. I promise it will look way better in a few weeks.

2 comments:

Greta said...

I love that we got to be worms! Can I borrow some of your energy?

rachel blazer said...

can you haul compost for me?? : ) (i'm kidding- you're the nicest person in the world & you'd probably do it!)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Background by Ava7Patterns