Wednesday, May 4, 2011

New obsession

Elsie cried all day while I washed the laundry, cooked the meals, transported the children,  went to the grocery store, finished transplanting the Hostas and Lillies, and worked on the boarder of the kitchen garden.  And yes, she cried the whole time.  My body is tense and I'm about to loose it.  To calm myself I'm going to blog about dinner.  I ran across this post the other day Broke Ass Grouch.  This post is for making one chicken last three days.  This is near impossible in this house due to the Texas size appetite of my husband.  But regardless I love the lack of instruction, the figure it out on your own guidelines and the complete lack of measurements.  Now I don't have a very big dutch oven so I used two small ones, but here goes:
 Put your chicken in the pot cut up or whole.  
Squeeze in some lemon.

 Add what ever herbs you have dried or fresh, and lots of garlic if you have it.

 cover 3/4 of the way up with milk.

Add some olive oil.
Cover and bake at 350 for an hour.

  After the first hour add some lentils, quinoa, or other quick grain.  If you use brown rice add it earlier than this.   I like to toss in carrots, include the tops (very high in Vitamin K and potassium) and potatoes if I have them.  I pull out the herbs before adding the next ingrediant (less to fish out later).
Now bake for another 30 minutes or so.  Done.  The best part?  My niece Ruby loved it and she is THE PICKIEST eater I know.   I haven't tried the squash step but when making your stock toss seaweed into the pot to add more vitamins and trace minerals. 

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Background by Ava7Patterns